Rental property licensing
The City of Maple Grove requires that all rental property within the city be licensed. This includes apartment complexes, townhomes, condominiums, duplexes, and single-family rental dwellings. All dwellings that do not qualify for homestead are considered to be rental property and, therefore, require a license. All rental licenses are renewed on a three-year basis.
Items to review
- Rental property license handout (PDF)
- Rental dwelling license application (PDF)
- Pre-inspection checklist (PDF)
If you submit an application via email, please do not include any sensitive information (tax, credit card, etc.). A city staff member will call to collect this information.
Contact city staff at 763-494-6048 with questions.
Crime free rental housing (CFRH)
The city's CFRH ordinance creates a partnership between law enforcement and rental property managers to provide a safer living environment and reduce crime and nuisance problems in rental properties.
The CFRH ordinance requires rental owners or operators to:
- Conduct criminal background checks as well as criminal and civil court records checks on all prospective tenants covering at least the last three years.
- Include in all tenant leases a signed lease addendum for crime-free/drug-free housing (PDF) By signing the lease, the tenant acknowledges that engaging in identified criminal activity and causing the premises to be disorderly is a good cause for termination of tenancy.
- Attend an educational seminar if you own/operate two or more rental properties consistent with the Minnesota Crime Free Multi-housing program that includes guidance on applicant screening, rental agreements, identification of illegal activity, eviction process, working with police, crime prevention, licensing and inspections, and more.
The City of Maple Grove provides landlords notifications of police contacts at their rental properties to help keep them aware of potential issues. Sign up for this voluntary service at no cost.
For more information on crime free rental housing, call the Maple Grove Crime Prevention Officer at 763-494-6134.