Elm Road improvements
Elm Road is a gravel road in the southwest portion of the City of Maple Grove connecting Lawndale Lane and Vicksburg Lane. Several properties along Elm Road have been approved by the City Council for single-family residential development, including The Ridge at Elm Creek.
The added demand for water, sewer, and vehicle access requires the city to improve the roadway corridor as a major collector per the city transportation plan (PDF). Included with the improvements:
- Large diameter water main
- Sanitary sewer mains
- Stormwater facilities
- Speed control
- Sensitivity to the natural environment
City staff and consultants have finalized plans and specifications for the approved design, which considers the input received from the City Council, Maple Grove Planning Commission, and the public. For a depiction of the future roadway and features, view the Elm Road design forum.
Construction began in late July 2020 and is expected to continue through early 2022.
Past design & approval milestones
- May 18, 2020 - Council received feasibility report (including preliminary design) and ordered public hearing.
- June 1, 2020 - Council received all public comment (through May 31, 2020) and held public hearing.
- Council ordered project and preparation of final plans and specifications.
- June 15, 2020 - Council approved final plans and authorized bidding.
- July 13, 2020 - Staff opened public bids for project construction.
- July 20, 2020 - Council awarded construction contract.
- July 27, 2020 - Construction began.
- September 8, 2020 - Turn lanes and medians on Vicksburg Lane complete.
- August 3, 2020 - Large utilities (water, sewer and storm) along Elm, between Vicksburg Lane and Comstock Lane began (complete).
- July 2021 - Elm Road (street construction) between Vicksburg Lane and Comstock Lane - curb has recently been installed for the full length of the project; first course of paving.
- July 7, 2021 - All water and sanitary utility work complete.
- July 8, 2021- Pond dredging on Garland complete.
- July 14, 2021- Concrete and gutter installation along entire Elm Road project nearly complete.
- Pond construction along Elm Road nearly complete with restoration to follow.
Elm Road closed to through traffic
Residents can access their homes from either Lawndale Lane or Vicksburg Lane as well as access the surrounding neighborhoods via Garland Lane on Elm Road. The road is not fully complete; the area is still a construction zone. Use of Elm Road is only open for necessary access to residences.
Pond construction and associated storm sewer work is ongoing but should be completed soon. Paving of Elm Road west of Comstock Lane is underway and will include sidewalk, trail, and medians. Turf restoration and seeding will occur once the sidewalk and trail are installed.
Submit feedback or questions
Send an email to the Engineering Department to provide input or ask questions about the project.